Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Why the ipod is one of the greatest inventions ever... for us!

So, I fell asleep exhausted last night to the opening reel of my "Jimi at Monterey" DVD, and before I knew it, I was awoken like by an earthquake. Jimi blazing through "Rock Me Baby" on my TV, and my ipod alarm clock going off with the complex cluster harmonies of a capella vocal jazz group Take 6. It was a really frightening cacophony that practically lobotomized me before I shut them both off. I guess I set my alarm by accident... Just one of the many lessons I've learned since I've owned my ipod.

So, I was a late bloomer, I held out on getting an ipod until about a year ago. I don't know why, I guess I'm just behind some people. However, I do collect a lot of music, and I mean a LOT, I have over 200 gb of a record collection alone, and I like all of it. Then there's the rest of the stuff other people have given me for gigs/shows/tours to learn, or stuff I would not otherwise seek out on my own.

So I came home with a black 160gb ipod Classic, it was the biggest at the time and seemed like the best idea to me. I started the process of orienting myself with it, we all know how friendly the interface is. My friend, genius drummer Joel Richman called me about a job, and I told him I got an ipod. He immediately told me, "Dude, it ain't gonna be any fun until you actually get ALL your tunes on there." He was right. It took the better part of the day, but once I organized my library a bit, eliminated some duplicates, and edited a bunch of the tags on my tunes, the thing was ready. I now have to walk out the door 15 minutes earlier than before to go to work so I can allow myself the proper time to decide what to listen to. And you know what? It's full. No photos, no games or b.s., no video. It's full, and it's all music. My entire library goes with me everywhere, and I can give myself inspiration at any given second of the day, anywhere in the world. I can learn tunes at any given second too. It's actually done wonders for my personal happiness, always having whatever music suits my mood in my back pocket.

But the best things it has done for me other than that are purely professional. So let's go over some ways we all can use our 'pods to help our careers.

ACCESSORIES

I don't wanna suggest a musician spend more than he has to, times are certainly tough for us and everyone else, but there are a few things I've found helpful. First, there's your "ears". Meaning your headphones, and some in-ear monitors. For cans, I choose the Bose Around-Ear headphones, recommended years ago by a picker I subbed for. They're great for isolation and they're comfy. Great for long plane rides.

In-ear monitors are something we all need from time to time, and with these, you get what you pay for. However, some pinheads spend upwards of a grand for these things, and while I admire that kid of quality, these things are so easy to lose I say find a compromise. I really like Futuresonics Atrio ears. They're price-friendly and they sound amazing. If you have a decent gig they'll probably give you a deal too. Screw the ipod earbuds, they're complete shit.

Okay, you need some protection. Here's mine. I also got a screen protector. A $3 insurance policy. My other must-have is my road alarm clock. It goes with me everywhere, and stays at my bedside at home. I also take it backstage at local and travelling gigs to get warmed up with the guys by listening to some hip shit.

LEARNING THE GIG WITH IT

Ok, so you get a call for a job. Ask for the songlist, straighten out your keys, and either they'll give you the material, or you'll hunt it down. Put the act's entire catalog into one playlist, and in the case of a tour or a production show, put them in concert order in said playlist. Okay then, go to work. In the car, on the computer at your home studio/workstation or wherever you learn tunes and practice, by your bed while you sleep, in between sets on the gig, etc. Actively listening can be almost as helpful as physically practicing the tunes on your axe, as long as you have no distractions and can carefully visualize yourself playing the parts.

So let's say you don't have the gig yet and you are out looking for work. You go see a few different bands playing in some nightclubs or wherever else, meet the guys and hand out cards. Write a list of all the tunes they play from band to band. Cross reference your lists and see which tunes the bands have in common. Take that home, and make one giant master list. My friend Mel Brown taught me to make three lists, the songs you "own" on one list, the song you "know" but haven't played that much or at all, and the songs you don't know at all. Make three more playlists and prioritize your work accordingly.

In the case of working with a recording artist, chances are before you go in you will get a board mix of the current show. Make one playlist from that, in the order of the show. Chances are you might also get the original recordings as well, so make a playlist of those as well, in the same order as the show. I've even made another playlist alternating live version/recorded version of each tune, so as to compare and make note of subtle differences, transpositions, etc.

In the case of working with some sort of broadway or production show, you may get a board mix, a cast recording, or even a recording of the guy's in-ear mix for which you are subbing. Make three more playlists and... you get the idea.

If you have to SEND a sub, ther's a handy little device here. You can plug this drectly into a mini phone out jack on your mixer, Aviom or otherwise, and record your own mix directly onto your ipod to give to your sub. It also doubles as a handy voice recorder to record lessons, or anything else. With a little editing at home, your sub will hear what you hear on the gig while practicing. The cats I've covered for have been GREAT about doing this for me.

Here's another thing... it's saved my ass many times. Vocal warmups. Invest in a good one for your particular gender and range, or do what a lot of cats I know do, and go grab a session with a vocal coach and have them make you a custom warm-up CD for gigs where singing is a big deal. Yes, make another playlist, and warm up in the shower, getting dressed, and driving to the gig. I am not a singer per se, but I do get called to do it often, and I've hurt myself by not warming up properly.

Okay guys, that's my two cents about the 'pod. I have a closer relationship with mine than I have had with most women I've ever dated, and it never lets me down. With a little research and some spare time to invest in your professional security, these things can be your best friend. Ciao, fellas.


No comments:

Post a Comment