Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My foray into the blogosphere, and Music Ed

So, here goes. I guess I'll do it too. Right off the bat, I want to let all other guitarists and musicians know that when sharing gig experiences there are certain things that shall remain anonymous. These may or may not include where I worked, who I worked with, what compensation was exchanged, and anything else I deem necessary. This is for several reasons. One, I wish to not directly advertise too much of my professional life. I, like all of us, have too much competition as it is. Two, it is out of respect for my co-workers and colleagues, who are working just as hard as I am to keep their heads above water in these times.

The last reason is personal. I started this blog with the primary intention of telling some of the more real TRUTHS about living and working as a professional rhythm section musician. The things that others simply won't say, even though that's what they're thinking, feelings of concern that other musicians may share with me, and feelings of accomplishment and attainment of serious goals, among many things.

The music business, and by that I mean the "business of making music for money", can often be a great metaphor for life. So hopefully we all can learn a few things with that in mind, from ourselves, and from each other. Believe me guys, the more comments and responses the better, and the more controversy the better. So... since music school was brought up, and because that's the place where so many of us begin our careers, let's start there.

THE GREAT MUSIC EDUCATION MYTH(S)

  1. A degree or degrees in music can get you a gig: Well, it's possible, but certainly not guaranteed. In fact I myself think it's a bit on the unlikely side. I do find it necessary to further your education in music at the collegiate level, if you're serious about doing this, but don't count on any job security from it, and I mean ANY. No matter what institution you went to. If applying for some sort of collegiate teaching position, then the proper higher education will be necessary. However, I recently responded to a job announcement that shall remain nameless. I told them that I had left my M.M. program early. They told me, "If you want this tenure track job, you gotta have a Master's. We don't even care what it's in or where it's from, just so long as you have it." I wonder how many college music professors out there might have, say, MBA's or advanced degrees in basket weaving.
  2. The more money you pay for your music degree the better it will be: Well, unfortunately this one's B.S. too. The end result of your formal education (in any art) will always be directly proportional to what you put into it. The more you put in, the more you get out in the end. I went to one institution that was a certain amount of money per full-time semester for tuition, that's one flat fee for 12 units of study. The next one I went to, cost the exact same amount of money for ONE UNIT of graduate tuition. That's simply an astronomical amount. In hindsight, I don't see a huge amount of differences between the two, they both were great. All I do know is that they both broke my balls when I needed to leave class early for a gig. Such is life...
  3. I need to go to music school because I need to learn to read music: For my personal career, which is certainly no microcosm of this biz, reading is absolutely necessary. However, here's a short list of people it did not stop: Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, Wes Montgomery, and on and on and on... I should also mention that half the badasses I know are music school dropouts, and you know what? I am a dropout too. I guess I'm not proud of it, but in all reality it doesn't bother me.
Your parents and guidance counselors are right if they're pushing you to get a degree, it really is the best insurance policy in the world, it shows you can committ to something serious and see it through, and it's a milestone event when it ends.

One goes to college to just as much learn what they DON'T know as they go to learn new things. Music school is a very humbling experience when you first show up, sometimes even humiliating. But it helps you move forward and get the fundamental and rudimentary skills needed to understand music as a whole.

Music academia however, like a lot of similar institutions, suffers from a serious detachment from the street. Some are better equipeed to send you out into the world than others, and I have my own opinions, but I'll let you guys dedcide for yourselves which institution is best for your own growth, if any at all. Now let me remind you, I am speaking from a professional commerical music performer's perspective, not that of a music teacher or an ethnomusicologist or a choir accompanist. For the most part, me and everyone I work with make our living playing "commercial music." Name it... rock, blues, country, funk, soul, r&b, AC, MOR, etc. Not many music schools actually show you some of these tunes and techniques, and this my friends is where the detachment begins.

See, these styles are not "old" enough to be accepted into the ivory tower just yet. Classical music is, and jazz is just reaching the age where it's getting wider acceptance. Last I checked there were but four tenured jazz guitar professors in the entire world. And while we're at it, let's take a hard look at our instrument: the electric guitar. Not exactly the most easily-legitimized axe, is it? Opera singers, tuba players, and violinists see their classmates with electric guitar gig bags on their shoulders and often think "loose cannon" immediately. Know what? In my case anyway, they were right. Bottom line, our instrument is and will remain the single most popular instrument in the entire world, and that rubs some of the legit cats the wrong way sometimes. The flipside? Our competition is pretty stiff, it seems as though everyone plays at least a little guitar.

I've never been a full-time teacher, always part time, and these days not at all, but I've ALWAYS been a full time player. I was before music school, during music school, and now after. Point being, please do not spend so much time in the practice room that you forget to actually get out there and meet people who you have the potential to work with. As mentioned earlier, the music degree does you no good unless you're using it while you getting it. I've seen many a fellow guitar student come out of school with amazing chops and skills, with not one single gig to show for it.

Also, the most important relationship you can foster as a music student will be the relationship between you and your private teacher. This person must be your coach, your mentor, your sensei. My advice is to find the best player you like to go and watch, and that you know is really busy, and bug them like hell until they take your money and give advice and share skills in return.

Anyhow, these are my personal thoughts on music education. It did wonders for me and many I know, but there's so substitute for the School of Hard Knocks, period.

No comments:

Post a Comment